How cross-border tax planning can empower global mobility
As companies navigate post-pandemic routines, a holistic approach to global mobility is required. Our cross-border tax planning prioritizes people within the broader scope of our clients’ needs. Proper assignment planning usually cannot be done in-house, as it requires an understanding of sensitive personal information. Understanding the importance of data privacy and the need to keep our information secure is critical to the success of global mobility programs.
There are many facets to global mobility support. In addition to assessing any corporate and individual tax risks, support in crucial areas such as immigration, payroll and social taxes need to be considered.
- Global perspective—Every jurisdiction has a unique set of rules and regulations. Coordinate with tax specialists around the globe to provide a seamless experience across borders.
- Proper assignment planning—Identify planning opportunities and ensure proper precautions are in place prior to the onset of the international assignment. Working with a professional services firm can ensure your company and employees fulfill global tax obligations from day one and avoid surprises down the road.
- Global payroll support—Verify your company is complying with global payroll reporting obligations and minimizing the risk of a payroll audit. This is often best managed by a professional services firm that is actively monitoring reporting and regulatory obligations around the globe.
- Cost containment—Again, leveraging a professional services firm with deep tax knowledge can help develop tax-optimized strategies that pass savings on to your business.
- Tailored strategy—There is no one-size-fits-all approach to effective global tax planning. Make sure the firm you are working with understands your business strategy and goals, and identifies solutions and opportunities to continually improve your global mobility program.
- Focus on analytics—Analytics enable better assessment of the return on investment of an assignment by quantifying the costs and benefits prior to sending employees abroad. Use this information to make informed decisions regarding international assignments, as well as your global mobility policy as a whole.
- Pragmatic approach—Embarking on an international assignment is stressful. Work with your tax provider to alleviate the stress around tax planning so the focus can be on employees on global assignments and achieving your business objectives.
- Leverage technology—Data integration streamlines the information-sharing process, helping globally mobile employees and program managers stay connected in real time. This connectivity allows for agile deployments and enables a seamless employee-assignment experience.
RSM's Global Employer Services (GES) team stands ready to support companies and their globally mobile employees through whatever the future holds. Countless complexities come into play as employers send their most valuable assets—their people—across borders. We are here to help guide your company and employees through the web of cross-border taxation. Whether employees are expatriating for a short-term assignment or a permanent transfer, careful planning is required to ensure that the costs of the assignment are contained and that employees are supported from the planning phase through repatriation.
We have the capabilities to support all of your tax needs, as well as the international reach and experience to do so globally. Contact us today.