Import and update the sales tax tables in your NetSuite account
NetSuite enables you to import up-to-date sales tax codes for each state. Each month, NetSuite updates its database table that stores the tax rates for all U.S. states. The Version field on the State Tax Import page indicates the effective date of the tax rate change.
NetSuite receives the tax table updates from Avalara. To keep your state sales tax tables up-to-date, you must reimport tax rates when tax rates change. The availability of tax table updates does not always coincide with the effective dates of tax rate changes. For example, an updated tax table may be already available but the rate change will take effect at a later date. Consult your tax agency to ascertain the dates when the changes to the tax rates take effect. Then, reimport the updated tax table at the appropriate time.
Be aware: NetSuite tax rates for the U.S. are determined by zip codes.
Before doing any updates on the Sales tax tables, I would suggest coordinating with all of your departments: Retail, Web, and others, to confirm that this update/import is not going to impact any of the tax codes/groups they are using. The update will inactivate the tax groups/codes that are no longer valid and create new ones.
To import sales tax tables:
- Go to Setup > Accounting > Taxes > Use State Sales Tax Tables.
- In the State drop-down list on the State Tax Import page, select a state for which to import tax tables.
Note: If the state for which you want to import tax rates does not appear in the State drop-down list, add the state to your nexuses list at Setup > Accounting > Taxes > Nexuses (Administrator). Then, change your Tax Codes Lists Include preference to Tax Groups and Tax Codes or Tax Groups Only.
- Select a tax agency and tax account for each type of tax.
- Click Save.
After the import, NetSuite sends a confirmation message to the email address on the Company Information page. To view the tax codes, you imported, go to Setup > Accounting > Taxes > Tax Codes.
- If you import your tax tables again, any manual changes you made to your tax codes must be entered again.
- If you operate a web store, NetSuite can automatically match your shoppers’ ship-to address with the closest matching sales tax code and calculate the correct sales tax.
To edit a sales tax code:
- Go to Setup > Accounting > Taxes > Tax Codes.
- Click Edit next to the tax code you want to update.
- On the tax code record, make necessary changes.
- Click Save.