How to stand out on campus
It’s fall, which means you’re back on campus and one step closer to graduation. How can you set yourself up to meet employers, nail interviews and jumpstart a successful career? RSM talent acquisition team members, partners and professionals (who were on campus not too long ago) shared their best tips and tricks on how to stand out on campus!
1. “Be genuine. At RSM, we really want to know our professionals. We hire people, not resumes. Show employers who you are and not who you think they want you to be. Own who you are.” – Alex Shillinglaw, talent acquisition senior associate, University of South Florida graduate
2. “Smile! When meeting employers, it can be intimidating for everyone involved, but a smile goes a long way.” – Joe Hamilton, audit senior associate, Miami University graduate
3. “Be naturally curious. Actively listen during an interview and you will ALWAYS be able to find something to ask about the company, the job, the interviewer, etc.” – Rod Foster, consumer products/real estate audit partner, University of Norther Iowa graduate
4. “Practice your handshake and a solid elevator speech (name, what you are involved in, why you want to be a part of the company).” – Carol Wei, tax senior associate, Northern Illinois University graduate
5. “At career fairs and interviews, do your research before and come prepared with at least two questions for the company representative. Afterward, follow up with them and stay connected to the company.” – Sara Herbel, talent acquisition campus manager, Oklahoma State University graduate
6. “Throughout the recruiting process, everyone’s goal is to find a great fit. During interviews, be yourself and think of it as an opportunity for you to also interview the employer. Meet and network with as many people as you can from the firms/companies of interest to get a better feel for their culture.” – Dan Mohrbacher, financial services audit partner, University of Colorado Boulder graduate
Who else is back on campus? We are! Check with your Career Center to see if RSM recruits on your campus. If we don’t, contact us to learn more about opportunities in our offices across the country. We’d love to connect with you!