© 2021 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
Magento vs. NetSuite SuiteCommerce Advanced
Even after years on an e-commerce platform, companies are finding reasons to make a change. Stability, flexibility and integration are all key factors to examine. Even an upgrade of a popular early provider, like Magento, can reveal weak spots or changes for users that can affect sales in ways that are often not clear.
The investment in new architecture and platforms is significant. Version 2.0 of Magento, for instance, resembles a new platform rather than an extension or improvement of the earlier systems. Savvy managers will examine whether migrating to an integrated omnichannel platform can yield a better customer experience and at a lower total cost of ownership (TCO). NetSuite’s e-commerce and content management platform, SuiteCommerce Advanced (SCA), is a modern single page application (SPA), architecture-based solution. It provides the types of features that discerning audiences demand from a modern shopping experience. For your IT and operations teams, it delivers native, real-time back-office integration.
Companies are moving IT infrastructure to the cloud in hopes of reducing headaches and costs, allowing them to focus on business operations instead of on maintaining infrastructure. Although Magento buyers are drawn to its pricing or its simplicity of development, they often overlook what comes after capturing orders. Inventory and warehouse management, marketing, customer service and compliance aspects of e-commerce often require more solutions.
Ask what else your company needs and take a broader look at running and growing your business. Can online sales tools scale up with your organization and support it end to end? Consider these factors when comparing Magento to NetSuite’s SuiteCommerce Advanced (SCA) platform for your e-commerce business:
Infrastructure and maintenance
- Infrastructure hosting is complex, requiring different skill sets to upgrade and maintain
- Must be installed, configured and optimized for the website to function properly
- Requires the company to host hardware, software and data security functions
- Needs frequent security patches and updates
- When upgrading, Magento costs can be more expensive than a migration to another e-commerce platform
- Entire infrastructure is installed, hosted and maintained remotely by NetSuite, including all hardware, software, security and backups
- Upon contract completion, the system is ready to be implemented by a web developer—for quicker launch and simplified integration
- All patches and upgrades are managed by NetSuite and fully backward compatible
- Includes at least two major upgrades annually at no additional cost beyond base annual licensing
- A stand-alone, point solution for e-commerce
- Not integrated with CRM, ERP, POS or warehouse management
- No financial management and reporting capabilities
- Lacks multicompany management with financial consolidation
- Requires system integrations that are independent from Magento
- Fully integrated cloud-based suite of tools to run your omnichannel business
- SuiteCommerce platform provides native ERP and CRM integration with optional POS and warehouse management modules
- Offers full financial management and reporting capacities
- Supports true multicompany management with financial consolidation
RSM helped us to launch our new website, and we are receiving great feedback on the work done. Having our new site integrated to our backend with the latest NetSuite technology is not only a benefit to us as a company, but we know the user experience will improve as well.
- Tyler Porteous, VP Marketing & Business Development, COOLA
Newest SuiteCommerce features
New promotions engine
A marketer has complete control over exclusive promotions, stackable promotions and shipping promotions, all within a new and improved interface, making promotions easy, no matter how complex.
Your B2C and B2B business customers will love the unexpectedly easy method to view discounts for bulk purchasing, a simple way for them to buy more at each transaction. This feature was part of NetSuite’s backend—but now is a standard, visible feature on SCA. Making it more widely available can lead to faster deployment times and reduced cost.
Shopping online from product catalogs just got easier with this feature, which provides visitors the ability to search and add multiple items by SKU/or item number within the shopping cart. Thanks to Quick Order, visitors can shop their own way and, like Quantity Pricing, it helps you provide a customized, flexible site while speeding development and lowering site cost.
Enhanced SSL support
Give visitors the option of enabling secure sockets layer (SSL) on the shopping domain—not just the checkout pages. Support a single domain that is secure from start to finish across all shopping experiences. This added security shows your understanding and concern for data privacy and will provide a seamless experience that redirects from nonsecure to secure domains.
Facets as URL parameters
This feature lets you tailor the site structure by selecting individual facets as part of the path for the site to be configured as query strings. The enhancement will help get rid of duplicate and thin or shallow search engine optimization (SEO) pages and make it easier to tailor site navigation.
Buy online and pick up in store
Your customers can view inventory by location in real time and pick up item(s) in the store nearest to them. Increase their options—speed, convenience, price, delivery—and know what sites need replenishing. Drive incremental visitor traffic to stores and increase sales opportunities, all while cutting the expense of shipping for you and your buyers.
We selected RSM based on a superb reputation, domain expertise and a very reputable background in driving e-commerce initiatives towards success. It was quite challenging to find a provider that could integrate our brand image with our operational demands.
- Carla Hukee, Brand Manager, Niner Bikes