Pulling together the different systems and data streams within a field service organization is challenging, but it’s the first step toward driving down costs as you build loyalty through fast and effective response.
Fully integrating real-time data from in-field assets into systems used by remote or on-site technicians is part of the solution, but it also takes advanced technologies such as mixed reality and artificial intelligence (AI). This data- and IoT-driven service model is becoming more commonplace, which, in turn, is driving up customer experience expectations.
Fortunately, many midmarket organizations have found a solution in Dynamics 365 Field Service, a field service management platform that seamlessly connects with other systems to provide a scalable end-to-end solution.
Dynamics 365 Field Service gives service organizations tools that help them deliver first-time fix resolution more cost-effectively:
- KPIs and reporting that uses Power BI (business intelligence) and real-time dashboards
- Azure IoT data streams for capturing data from customer assets to trigger proactive and predictive action
- Tracking capabilities for employee utilization, work order management and time entry
- AI scheduling that finds the automatically finds the best choice for each case
- Mixed reality hardware and software such as Remote Assists and Guides that work with the Hololens device
Let’s take a look at how technicians solve problems using Dynamics 365 Field Service with built-in intelligence. In this case, the device is a piece of production equipment.
- Enabled with IoT-connected sensors, the device detects an issue and sends an alert that prompts creation of a case file. This case file automatically is routed to the next available Tier 2 technician. This could be a predictive field service case, such as an AI-driven notification of a needed service; or a proactive field service case where the service provider is alerted to a pending problem and prevents it before it affects the customer.
- The technician can use commands directly within the Dynamics 365 platform to try to fix the issue remotely without disturbing the customer. If this works, the case is closed. If it doesn’t, the technician can use AI-enabled tools to dispatch the best-choice, on-site technician based on proximity, skillset and equipment available on the vehicle.
- Push notifications automatically go out to the technician and the customer with personalized details about the on-site visit.
- Once inside, the technician can access a library of instructions within Dynamics 365 applications using a mobile device. If needed, technicians can also use Dynamics 365 Remote Assist to connect with others in the organization with specialized expertise they don’t have.
- Remote Assist is an application that uses audio, video and mixed-reality annotations so both parties can see the equipment and collaborate on what steps to take. The Hololens device is a headset that provides annotated visuals for reference.
- When the problem is resolved, the technician can use a mobile device to obtain customer verification of the resolution.
Dynamics 365 Field Service can also give customers options to resolve issues on their own, thereby reducing the load on technicians. For example, if a smartwatch or other consumer device is having a syncing issue that requires a reset, the device manufacturer can train a virtual customer agent to alert users to this fix when they log into their accounts seeking help.
In the background, AI tools can be set up to send alerts to production managers when the number of complaints about an issue reaches a pre-set threshold. This helps the overall organization be proactive about resolving problems.
Customer experience is becoming a key differentiator for all types of providers. Within field service, delivering fast first-time fixes drives positive experiences. To do this cost-effectively at scale requires an integrated platform that operates in real time and without friction.
Dynamics 365 Field Service and RSM’s service implementation methodology are proven solutions that can improve field service value for both providers and their customers.
RSM is a gold-certified Microsoft enterprise partner with decades of experience in industries such as retail, food and beverage, CPG, nonprofit, life sciences and industrials. We have more than 1,000 consultants with deep industry knowledge and access to proprietary applications that accelerate time-to-value for Microsoft solutions.
You can trust RSM for lifetime support guided by a business-first mentality that combines Microsoft experience with broader services in management and technology consulting, risk advisory, tax, IT infrastructure, data/analytics and more.