Business and Professional Services Leader
Areas of focus: Business and Professional Services
Summary of Experience
Dan Whelan is a partner with RSM US LLP (RSM) and a member of our national risk consulting practice. He is also the leader of our Mid-Atlantic risk team and the solution set leader for internal audit and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) in our Southeast region. Dan has more than 30 years of experience providing risk and financial advisory services to globally active companies. He has extensive experience in delivering SOX consulting services for public companies, including initial year documentation, risk-based assessments of key controls, SOX optimization and on-going quarterly testing and sustainability. He also has experience delivering internal audit outsourcing and co-sourcing engagements, fraud prevention, risk assessments and enterprise risk management services. Over his career, Dan has provided accounting, audit and consulting services to clients in various industries, including business and professional services, technology, consumer and industrial products, state and local government, pharmaceutical and nonprofit.
Notable Engagements and Accomplishments
- Project leader of Sarbanes-Oxley engagements for government contractors that range in size from $300 million to $1.5 billion in which we perform the SOX planning, risk assessment, scoping, quarterly testing, coordination with the external auditors and reporting to the audit committee on a quarterly basis.
- Chief Audit Executive for an outsourced internal audit engagement for a large water authority. Responsible for performing entity-wide risk assessment, determining the annual internal audit plan, executing the audit plan, supervising the team and related subject matter experts and reporting results to the audit committee on a quarterly basis.
- Project leader for an international internal audit co-sourcing project for a $300 million nonprofit organization with locations in over 30 countries around the world.
- Project leader of an international Sarbanes-Oxley engagement for a $2 billion optical network solutions company with locations in over 50 countries worldwide in which we documented their internal controls and assisted in the testing of the identified key controls.
- Project leader of internal audit and Sarbanes-Oxley engagements for pharmaceutical companies which include creation of an internal audit function to implement SOX and perform internal audit services.
- Project leader of a Sarbanes-Oxley engagement for a $10 billion diversified financial services company in which we performed SOX tax compliance testing as well as other selected financial controls.
- Project leader of a Sarbanes-Oxley engagement for a $100 million management software company in which we performed a risk-based assessment of their prior year key controls and provided SOX optimization to streamline the controls, as well as performing the quarterly testing.
Professional Affiliations and Credentials
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants (MACPA)
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- Toastmasters International
- Leadership Howard County (Class of 2005)
- Former Board Member, American Red Cross of the Chesapeake Region
- Recognized as a top CPA in the Washington area by Washington SmartCEO magazine
- World Trade Center Institute EDGE Fellow
Dan has written articles and presented seminars on a variety of topics, including:
- COSO – A Practical Approach to Applicability
- Top 10 Ideas to Enhance the Relevancy of the Chief Audit Executive
- The Sarbanes-Oxley Act: Compliance Requirements, Common Deficiencies and Best Practices
- Leveraging Entity Level Controls for Public and Private Companies
- Impact of SOX on Not-for-Profits / Understanding NFP Financial Statements
- Bachelor of Arts, accounting, Loyola University in Baltimore