RSM Sponsors Major Motion Picture, “A Chance in the World”
Movie spotlights RSM US Foundation mission of providing stable environments for youth during National Foster Care Month
RSM US LLP (“RSM”) – the nation’s leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market – is pleased to sponsor the major motion picture, “A Chance in the World.” The movie is based on the real-life story of best-selling author, philanthropist and acclaimed speaker, Steve Pemberton, a wounded child destined to become a man of resilience and vision. The May 30 movie premiere is in conjunction with National Foster Care Month.
Taken from his mother at age three, Pemberton (formerly Steve Klakowicz) lives a terrifying existence. Caught in the clutches of a cruel foster family and subjected to ongoing abuse, Steve finds his only refuge in a box of books given to him by a kind stranger. In these books, he discovers new worlds, and begins to hope that one day he might have a different life.
A fair-complexioned boy with blue eyes, a curly Afro and a Polish last name, he is determined to unravel the mystery of his origins and find his birth family. Armed with just a single clue, Steve embarks on an extraordinary quest for his identity, only to learn nothing is as it appears.
“A Chance in the World” is the unbelievably true story of a wounded and broken boy destined to become a man of resilience, determination and vision. Through it all, Steve teaches us that no matter how broken our past, no matter how great our misfortunes, we have it in us to create a new beginning, and to build a place where love waits.
This inspirational story of overcoming hardships to excel in business and in life illustrates the importance of the RSM US Foundation mission of building tomorrow’s middle market leaders by:
- Enhancing educational outcomes through programs to provide individuals with career paths to help them become middle market business leaders and/or
- Supporting organizations committed to providing stable environments for youth in the areas of hunger, housing and health, which help them excel in education.
“RSM has been focused on supporting the communities where our people live and work since the firm began in 1926,” said Doug Opheim, chief financial officer and chairman of the RSM US Foundation. “Steve’s story is one of hope, dedication and perseverance, and we at RSM and the RSM US Foundation are honored to partner with him and others to share his inspirational story and to encourage others who might be facing difficult circumstances to pursue their passions so that they, too, can rise above their current situations and achieve success.”
“I am pleased to partner with RSM and other outstanding companies and theaters across the country to bring ‘A Chance in the World’ to thousands of foster children, their benefactors, supporting nonprofit agencies and others focused on providing stable environments for youth,” said Pemberton. “I hope that by sharing my personal story we, as a nation are able to create a movement that will result in all of our nation’s children, regardless of their backgrounds, reaching personal and professional success, and finding their own chance in the world. It’s great to partner with organizations such as RSM that are focused, not on the circumstances of our communities, but on the possibilities."
In return for co-sponsoring the this movie premiere, a select number of RSM clients, potential clients, and friends attended the May 30 premiere in select cities across the country, along with thousands of foster children, who will also receive life coaching sessions with Steve and Tonya Pemberton, a related book and leadership guide, seasonal gift certificates and future opportunities to participate in corporate and college “shadow days.”
Book donations were accepted at a number of theaters in conjunction with the movie premiere. Proceeds and donations from the Paley Center will be shared with children in foster care and the organizations who serve them.
The RSM US Foundation is a tax-exempt public charity. Additional ways that RSM and the RSM US Foundation support the local communities where the firm’s employees live and work are through:
- Volunteer Day - Established in 2010, RSM US Volunteer Day represents our commitment to giving our time in the communities where we work and live. In 2017, more than 3,100 RSM employees and clients participated in 170 volunteer events across the country. More than 100 charities benefited, including Ronald McDonald House, Habitat for Humanity, Second Harvest Food Bank, YMCA, Junior Achievement and many more.
- Birdies Fore Love – RSM partners with the Davis Love Foundation – host organization of PGA TOUR event The RSM Classic – on Birdies Fore Love. Through the program, each RSM office selects a local charity that supports youth in the areas of education, hunger, housing and health. Each charity benefits from the funds raised locally by employees, clients, family and friends. With a generous match from the RSM US Foundation, we were able to give over $2 million directly to deserving charities in 2017.
- The RSM US Foundation’s national scholarship program – Every day, RSM professionals deliver the power of being understood to today’s middle market leaders, globally. To build tomorrow’s leaders, the foundation is granting $100,000 in scholarships for the 2018-2019 academic year. Scholarship recipients will also receive invitations to participate in RSM’s externship (Pathways) program.
About RSM US LLP
RSM’s purpose is to deliver the power of being understood to our clients, colleagues and communities through world-class audit, tax and consulting services focused on middle market businesses. The clients we serve are the engine of global commerce and economic growth, and we are focused on developing leading professionals and services to meet their evolving needs in today’s ever-changing business environment.
RSM US LLP is the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with 51,000 people across 123 countries. For more information, visit rsmus.com, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and/or connect with us on LinkedIn.