RSM Celebrates 90 Years; Provides $90K to Help 9 Dreams Come True
90-90-9 program benefits those in need around the globe
RSM US LLP (RSM) – the nation's leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market – recently awarded nine employees across the nation with $90,000 ($10,000 each) and nine additional paid-time-off (PTO) days to “pursue their passions” through the firm’s 90-90-9 program.
2016 marks RSM’s 90th anniversary. In recognition of this significant milestone, the firm launched 90-90-9 in late 2015 to encourage employees to help celebrate the anniversary by applying for a chance to pursue their passions with monetary support and time off from the firm. A team of employees and partners in the firm selected the winners from nearly 300 submissions.
“We are honored to be celebrating 90 years of service to our middle market clients across the country and around the world, said Doug Opheim, chief financial officer, chairman of the RSM US Foundation and resident historian. “Stewardship has been a hallmark of our firm since we began operating in 1926, so it’s no surprise that each of our 90-90-9 winners chose to pursue opportunities to give back to others. We are very proud of what our employees plan to do to benefit society as a result of this program.”
Michelle Nolan (project coordinator; Minneapolis, MN) was the first employee to pursue her passion of providing water to orphans in Africa, while also achieving a personal goal of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.
“With the support of RSM, I summited the highest free-standing mountain in the world and reached the highest point on the African continent, proving to myself and others that all things truly are possible,” said Nolan. “As if I wasn’t already elated enough, I was then privileged to celebrate by funding and starting the installation of a water storage system benefiting 600+ children of a local school in Tanzania and residents of the surrounding village. I feel incredibly privileged that my workplace not only supports my professional goals, but also my personal dreams. As a result of being a 90-90-9 winner, I feel strong and courageous, and I’m so humbled and inspired.”
RSM’s remaining eight 90-90-9 winners and the passions they’ll be fulfilling are:
- Jacqueline Pacquette (senior associate; Omaha, NE) – Keep a promise to pay it forward by providing a new smile to someone in need.
- Julie Kaehler (client service representative; Rochester, MN) – Purchase land for a school and community garden in Haiti while also teaching sustainable farming.
- Dee Komaromi (supervisor; Irvine, CA) – Open a school in Africa dedicated to her late father and father-in-law.
- Nyasha Gopo (manager; Charlotte, NC) – Become a certified coach to help immigrants assimilate to life in America.
- David Campbell (supervisor; Boston, MA) – Provide renewable, efficient energy to homes and businesses in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Terri Andrews (director; Charlotte, NC) – Provide mammograms and counseling based on personal experience to women facing breast cancer in Jamaica.
- Nicole Knudtson (project director; Minneapolis, MN) – Publish a children's book to help families connect and understand each other better.
- Jarin Hansen: (senior manager; Cedar Rapids, IA currently on expatriate assignment in Shanghai, China) Serve as a healing home to a Chinese orphan undergoing a life-changing surgery.
“At RSM, we value our employees and their unique skills, abilities and interests both inside and outside of the workplace,” said Managing Partner and CEO Joe Adams. “When he founded our firm more than 90 years ago, one of Ira B. McGladrey’s core principles was, ‘treat employees well’. We have found that supporting people both personally and professionally while fostering diversity in thoughts and ideas creates better outcomes for our clients and our firm. Supporting these nine deserving employees in pursuing their passions has been a very rewarding way to celebrate our 90th anniversary.”
90-90-9 is only one way that RSM supports the community. The firm also gives back through the RSM US Foundation, a tax-exempt public charity dedicated to building tomorrow’s middle market leaders; an annual Volunteer Day, during which thousands of RSM employees and clients team up to support charitable organizations in the cities where they live and work; and Birdies Fore Love, which generates financial support for charitable organizations nationwide focused on helping children and families. In 2015 alone, RSM employees, clients and friends raised more than $1.2 million for children and families in need through Birdies Fore Love.
About RSM US LLP
RSM’s purpose is to deliver the power of being understood to our clients, colleagues and communities through world-class audit, tax and consulting services focused on middle market businesses. The clients we serve are the engine of global commerce and economic growth, and we are focused on developing leading professionals and services to meet their evolving needs in today’s ever-changing business environment.
RSM US LLP is the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in more than 120 countries. For more information, visit rsmus.com, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and/or connect with us on LinkedIn.