Nonprofit increases collaboration among staff in disparate locations
CASE STUDY |
The Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH) was established in 2004. Its mission is to improve performance and reduce errors in patient care using simulation. SSH serves over 3,200 clinicians, physicians, nurses, researchers, educators and developers around the world.
As a growing virtual organization, SSH found that collaboration between staff members in numerous locations across the country was becoming increasingly more challenging and inefficient. In addition, providing accurate and timely management reporting was difficult due to operating in a virtual model.
With the help of SSH’s management and board, RSM developed an innovative approach to the organization’s financial management by implementing Sage Intacct and Bill.com. Together, the two platforms create an integrated accounting and automated accounts payable workflow solution that enabled the accounting function to streamline its internal processes.
This cloud-based system increases visibility and provides timely data, offering convenient online access to financial reports and invoice review and approval. The technology enables more efficient internal processes for SSH staff, with enhanced review processes for vendor invoices and expense reports, and approval capabilities from anywhere in an environment of strong internal controls.
Post-implementation, RSM continues to provide ongoing CFO-level support to SSH leadership, including financial analysis, budgeting and forecasting, and other support.
Following RSM’s implementation of a more modern, accessible and comprehensive financial management solution, SSH has greater trust in its internal accounting. In addition, the solution enables the organization’s board to focus and expand on its strategy for continuing growth.
Key benefits of RSM’s implementation for SSH include:
- Greater trust in internal accounting, which allows the board to focus more time on strategies which are essential to SSH’s continuing growth
- Success of the SSH annual meeting—the organization’s single best revenue generator of the year benefited from RSM’s presence at the event to assist with registration and finance responsibilities
- More efficient internal processes with a cloud deployment
- Increased access and collaboration with staff through invoices and expense reports that can be reviewed from anywhere
- An enhanced internal controls environment for key financial information
- A stronger platform to make key organizational decisions with timely and accurate financial data
They said it
“Working with RSM is one of the best investments that SSH has made. Yes, it’s outsourcing, but I really see it as an extension of our staff. Alone, we could not manage the work that they do. Their nonprofit expertise helps board members collaborate on future strategies while relieving the burden on our internal senior leadership.”
- Jenn Manos, RN, MSN, MBA; Executive Director, Society for Simulation in Healthcare