© 2019 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
Microsoft Dynamics® 365 for meat and poultry solutions
With a sustained track record of success in the food and beverage (F&B) industry as a whole—and with meat and poultry processors, in particular—RSM is home to the largest Dynamics 365 practice in the United States and several of the most recognized Dynamics 365 developers worldwide, all of which help its consultants effectively leverage the company’s position as a Microsoft Dynamics Business Solution Partner and top-tier Microsoft Gold Partner on behalf of its meat and poultry clients.
Combining the power of unmatched industry knowledge and the highest levels of certification and partnership with Microsoft, RSM consultants are uniquely positioned to bring meat and poultry processors the proven power and capability of JunctionFB—RSM’s flexible, scalable farm-to-fork ERP solution suite—built on the Microsoft Dynamics 365 platform.
RSM consultants—masters of meat and poultry industry complexity
Following several years of increases in most categories of meat and poultry pricing, the forecast for the near-term future is much the same—consistent with USDA’s predictions in the report “Agricultural Projections 2021” in which growth in overall meat consumption is projected to reach more than 25 percent over the next decade, with per capita consumption increasing for each major type of meat, driving up both demand and opportunity for higher prices and potentially greater margins. The same scenario is playing out around increasing demand for specialty and value-added meat categories, such as special cuts, or meats offered in fresh, frozen, chilled, cured, cooked or canned states.
Despite this relatively rosy industry outlook, meat and poultry processors will continue to face the significant challenges typical of a number of food and beverage industry segments, including:
- Additional operational and reporting requirements around food safety and regulatory compliance
- Timing and other pressures associated with production and handling of highly perishable goods—often goods that themselves were produced using highly perishable raw materials
- Uncertainties related to the variable and inconsistent availability of raw materials needed for production
- Ever-changing product demands from increasingly educated consumers who will ultimately determine what will need to be on grocery shelves
- Challenges around balancing production to maximize high-margin, value-add items, minimize production of frozen and other goods associated with high-carrying costs, and constant pressure to minimize or reuse production byproducts to reduce waste and inefficiencies
These are just a few of the considerations driving the need for industry leaders to adopt technology solutions and partners that are tightly aligned with their industry. With unrivaled technical qualifications and proven industry knowledge, RSM’s consultants are an ideal choice to deliver JunctionFB to meat and poultry processors, enabling them to achieve the visibility and operational effectiveness they need to grow, scale and profitably sustain their complex operations well into the future.
RSM understands meat and poultry industry pain points, business drivers
Knowing firsthand the combined value of extensive industry-specific knowledge and technical knowledge when choosing a consulting partner, RSM’s consultants—with long-standing industry track records and unrivaled knowledge and skills around Microsoft Dynamics 365—are the most highly qualified partners for meat and poultry producers. Whether addressing industry challenges around market cost allocations, food safety and quality, traceability and recalls, efficient use of byproducts, or accuracy requirements for a wide variety of meat and poultry operations, RSM’s consulting team has the knowledge and skills to bring meat and poultry processors the strength and functionality of their Dynamics 365-based JunctionFB solution suite to help them address some of their most critical business drivers and operational concerns, including those to:
- Connect the entire value chain, managing complex farm-to-fork plant operations across countries and currencies on a single, fully integrated platform, ensuring data updates and changes made anywhere in the enterprise are immediately reflected throughout the system
- Spur revenue growth by introducing SKUs for new product variants—or products certified in high-demand categories (e.g., organic, free range or grass-fed)—all with premium pricing commensurate with the intensity of demand from specialty markets and increasingly educated and demanding consumers
- Gain visibility into profitability and other business-critical operating metrics and KPIs that provide a clear view into every aspect of enterprise-wide operations
- Enable quick and appropriate responses to changing protein food trends, commodity costs, and other dynamic industry factors with a solution that adapts to industry-specific processes and includes pre-defined templates to ensure clients are up and running quickly, without unnecessary complications or delays
- Free from the growth-inhibiting inefficiencies inherent in manual and partially automated, disparate legacy systems, scaled to meet and exceed corporate goals—whether they include global operations, product line expansions or both
Uniquely positioned to help meat and poultry processors grow and scale their businesses, simplify and speed processes, and make smarter, faster, better-informed business decisions, RSM consultants specialize in addressing just these types of industry challenges, delivering measurable improvements and efficiencies to critical business operations.
RSM consultants deliver Dynamics 365 solutions built around meat and poultry industry requirements
Developed on the Dynamics 365 platform and architected to equip meat and poultry processors with the flexibility, visibility, and scalability they need to drive revenue and support sustainable growth, RSM’s Junction FB solution is a proven, single-platform, farm-to-fork ERP suite crafted specifically to meet the operational and regulatory compliance requirements of meat and poultry processors—including functionality such as:
- Advanced lot traceability: Streamlining food safety and associated compliance efforts while enabling rapid responses to critical scenarios, meat and poultry processors enjoy complete visibility—forward and backward—into raw materials, intermediates and finished products through all stages of the supply chain using automated, electronic processes to record Critical Tracking Events (CTE), core business processes, and key data elements that include product receipt, ingredients, processing, packaging, storage, transfer and shipping. Processors can also use batch attributes to trace inventory back to an originating geography or farm, fulfilling requirements for customers looking for a specific product quality grade or characteristic, such as a product certification or sourcing from a particular location or proximity distance—all of which allow premium pricing to be applied to high-demand products.
- Catch weight processing: Enabling accurate tracking of inventory quantities and costs for variable units of measure, meat and poultry processors—especially those focused on processing of fresh products—are able to employ catch weight processing to accurately manage product types for which the actual weight of individual items within the product category varies. (Originating in the seafood industry, catch weight processing applied to seafood products packaged and sold as a unit of measure such as a case, but priced based on actual weight of the shipped product.)
- Direct store delivery: Delivering perfect orders every time and simplifying the end-to-end route accounting process, users tasked with on-time delivery of consumable or highly perishable products for distribution improved efficiency, delivery productivity, and margin with a delivery route accounting and management tool that supports static and ad hoc routes, load sequencing, delivery calendars, route optimization, vendor-managed inventory and delivery via distribution centers.
- Inventory control and management: Enabling the accurate, real-time inventory transfer and management capabilities needed to comply with customer contracts and cost-effectively fill orders, meat and poultry processors are able to manage product expiration dates, decrease on-hand inventory and packaging, ensure fresher inventory for customers, minimize loss and waste, and achieve the highest yields from raw materials and production capabilities. They can also charge premium prices for new and high-demand products—all with an accurate, easy-to-use tool that optimizes processes, simplifies reporting, and manages inventory and order data in real time. (See also “Wireless Warehouse” below.)
- Mobile traceability: Extending product source and safety information all the way to the customer’s fingertips via mobile devices, consumer users can easily trace items they intend to purchase via tablets or smartphones—at the point of purchase, or from the convenience of their home—providing both peace of mind for consumers and the ability for meat and poultry production operations to provide those same consumers with value-added information such as recall notices, nutritional information and recipes while also strengthening consumer connectivity, feedback and brand reputation.
- Multiple-output bills of material: Supporting operations that produce multiple byproducts of processing to maximize utilization of meat and poultry materials and minimize waste, meat and poultry processors are able to accurately capture data for and report on multiple outputs of production orders.
- Production scheduling: Optimizing raw materials to maximize yields and reducing the error, inefficiency and workload associated with manual production scheduling, meat and poultry processors are able to improve the quality of production schedules to ensure they are able to quickly and seamlessly respond to schedule changes throughout the day, get the highest yields from existing raw materials and production capabilities, and schedule production in the most efficient, economical way possible, minimizing downtime—all within the production constraints specified for each piece of equipment. To the same end, meat and poultry processors are also able to easily manage high-volume, last-minute orders and “make to order” processing with real-time visibility into production, allocations and logistics—critical for the value-added operations used by many of today’s meat and poultry processors.
- Quality control and flexible quality test frameworks: Supporting critical initiatives around ensuring the quality of meat and poultry products, processors gain flexible control of date-sensitive inventory with a quality control solution that supports sample testing and is tightly integrated with inventory functionality—one able to enact automatic quality assurance (QA) holds if tested specifications are not met, generate Pending Lot Expiration reports, and provide the first expired, first out (FEFO) stock control so critical for companies dealing in perishable goods. The solution also supports user-defined quality tests that are readily available in the system to provide real-time visibility into product quality as it moves through the warehouse.
- Recall reporting: Building on the strength of its advanced traceability functionality, processors are able to use the system to generate automated product recall reports that provide accurate accounts of inventory received, sold, produced and on hand, saving both time and money, and ensuring that excessive amounts of product are not unnecessarily disposed of in the event of a recall scenario.
- Trade promotions management: Improving the accuracy, effectiveness and profitability of complex rebate and promotional programs—including components such as bill-backs, off-invoice allowances, broker commissions and deductions management—meat and poultry processors are able to eliminate the overspending and write-offs typically associated with manual reconciliation using a closed-loop, fully integrated solution that gives them the ability to track, control, and analyze promotions, and to integrate pricing, order processing and financials throughout the enterprise.
- User-definable attributes: Architected with a user-definable attribute structure that can be set up and configured individually without the need for coding changes, users are able to define their own sets of attributes to create product descriptions and parameters, and to determine which attributes will be traced through the supply chain, to include both standard meat and poultry attributes, such as farm and country of origin, and specialty attributes, such as fresh versus frozen.
As meat and poultry processors continue to work toward achievement of the perfect balance of competition and compliance, or of efficiency and customization, applying the right technology solution—with the help of the right partner—has never been more critical. Capabilities like these underscore the value of a true end-to-end industry-specific solution suite in addressing the complex challenges facing the meat and poultry industry—all built on the powerful, flexible Dynamics 365 platform. Adding meat and poultry industry accelerators from RSM to enhance out-of-the-box functionality from day one also simplifies the ways in which these operations are able to meet many of the most standard industry-specific challenges.
Microsoft has recognized RSM with a gold Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) competency in the Microsoft Partner Network as well as a Global Independent Software Vendor (GISV) status. RSM has also been awarded some of Microsoft’s most prestigious awards in vertical-specific areas.
- Inner Circle for Microsoft Dynamics
- Certified for Microsoft Dynamics 365 (CfMD)
- Global Development Localization Partner Advisory Board
- RFID Partner Advisory Council
- Dynamics 365 X++ Development I
- Dynamics 365 X++ Development II
- Dynamics 365 Enterprise Portal Development I
- Dynamics 365 Advanced Administration
- Reporting and Business Analysis for Dynamics 365
Ready to Get Started? Contact Our Team.
Call us at 800.274.3978 or send us a message: