© 2021 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
Cloud risk and compliance services
Reduce your risks while taking full advantage of cloud functionality
The cloud is an extremely beneficial solution for many organizations, transitioning applications and business systems off company premises and into external data centers. However, the solution is complex, and many companies execute a cloud strategy without truly understanding where information is located, who has access to it and how it is protected. Managing risks and compliance effectively in the cloud requires new skill sets along with a different approach than traditional risk management processes.
Organizations often perform due diligence when choosing a cloud provider, but cloud services and solutions evolve quickly and risk practices must keep pace. You must have a proper governance, risk and compliance framework to ensure that you are taking advantage of the cloud’s efficiency, agility and enhanced solutions, while incurring minimal risk.
Is your cloud risk framework at risk?
The cloud is unlike any other technology solution, and demands a broader perspective and input from multiple key stakeholders to properly manage risks and applicable compliance obligations. Some key considerations include:
- Who owns the risks of moving to the cloud in your organization? Is it information technology, is it information security or is it vendor management?
- Who accepts the business risk of moving to the cloud? Is it the specific business line or the entire enterprise?
- Do you treat all cloud solutions the same way? All three cloud architectures—software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS) or infrastructure as a service (IaaS)—carry distinct risks.
A comprehensive cloud risk framework
RSM has developed an effective solution to evaluate your cloud policies, procedures and controls. We work with you to develop comprehensive cloud governance policies, enabling your organization to identify, evaluate and minimize your risk when moving IT workloads to the cloud.
Utilizing the Cloud Security Alliance Cloud Control Matrix v3 (CCM), our team has developed a flexible cloud risk framework that applies to several compliance standards. Expanding on the CCM framework, RSM has integrated dozens of requirements from regulatory and statutory bodies with additional guidelines integrated as they are released. Instead of undergoing multiple assessments to evaluate your company’s cloud compliance and performance, our framework can assess your environment in a single audit exercise.
Extensive, effective cloud services
Our methodology enables us to work with companies that are thinking of moving to the cloud, new to the cloud, or using advanced features of cloud computing. We understand your risk position and compliance demands, and how you can embrace the cloud in a safe and secure manner without impeding innovation or growth. We provide multiple services that align with the maturity of your cloud program, including:
- Cloud risk design assessment: The RSM team can examine your current cloud environment to determine whether it meets your current and future security and compliance demands.
- Cloud risk Rapid AssessmentTM: We leverage the CCM to map specific control domains to your cloud environment at a high level, identifying any potential weaknesses.
- Gap assessment: This assessment is a more extensive evaluation, mapping your existing controls and IT, as well as information security, human resources and risk management policies and procedures to applicable standards and then identifying any gaps.
- Remediation planning: After identifying cloud control gaps, our team has developed comprehensive procedures to test controls; we can then implement a remediation plan.
- Cloud governance model: Our advisors can help your organization integrate a thorough cloud strategy that adheres to your specific compliance demands and effectively identifies and manages risk.
- Ongoing monitoring: Cloud risk and compliance analysis is not just a one-time exercise. We can develop necessary controls for your organization, and monitor and enforce them to limit risk as cloud solutions evolve.
The RSM difference
RSM cloud risk and compliance advisors bring a unique and comprehensive perspective to managing and addressing your cloud risks. Our matrix team leverages extensive national risk management and technology resources, providing deep regulatory compliance and technical support throughout your cloud journey from taxonomy and controls to ongoing governance. We understand how you want to use cloud technology and develop effective strategies to help you put those plans into action.
In addition, our modular approach to compliance allows your organization to utilize a single framework while applying control mappings to a variety of statutory, regulatory or compliance bodies. This strategy simplifies future audits, but also provides a holistic view of risk across a wide variety of standards. Our framework not only considers domestic standards, but also a host of international guidelines for companies doing business overseas.
Ready to get started? Contact us today.
Call us at +1 800 274 3978 to schedule a no-obligation call to discuss how our cloud risk and compliance advisors can help strengthen your cloud environment and get the most from your cloud strategy.
How can we help you?
Contact us by phone 800.274.3978 or
submit your questions, comments, or proposal requests.
CYBERSECURITY RAPID ASSESSMENT®
Complete our Cybersecurity Rapid Assessment form to be contacted about receiving our "quick-hit" evaluation of your organization’s overall security risk.