© 2019 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
Technology and Digital
Effective technology solutions to increase your productivity
Technology and digital applications are evolving quickly, and have become embedded in every business function at every level of the organization. Emerging technology allows companies to do more with less, implementing smarter processes that automate several functions and enable enhanced focus on higher-value activities.
While effective technology utilization can significantly increase efficiency and productivity, companies often struggle with managing, refining and securing key data. In addition, companies are experiencing a war on talent, creating difficulty to attract, develop and retain talented technology and digital resources. With these challenges in mind, many businesses are shifting to a services-oriented outsourcing model, enabling them to leverage the cloud and gain consistent, qualified resources through managed service providers.
Key components of technology and digital performance
All organizations can become better tuned and optimized by leveraging technology. Some key questions companies should consider when developing a digital strategy include:
- Strategy – Are we doing the right things? Is our performance optimized relative to our peers and investment level? What technologies should we be considering (e.g. RPA, Blockchain, Fintech)?
- Process – Are we doing things right? Where are there opportunities to automate and digitize processes? And how can I more seamlessly integrate processes with suppliers and customers through the adoption of digital technologies?
- Capabilities - What are my core competencies? What skills do I want to develop in-house versus outsource to more qualified companies? How mature are my digital capabilities in relation to personalization, prediction, engagement and agility?
Developing a cohesive technology and digital strategy
There is no one-size-fits-all technology and digital strategy. Companies must consider what they want to do, how they want to be organized, what capabilities are needed and whether they should be built internally or externally. Organizations must take those needs into consideration to fully understand what is necessary to develop a cohesive strategy and then operationalize it.
In our RSM technology and digital practice, we work with middle market leaders to help them optimize their investments in technology by providing end-to-end capabilities from assessment and strategy to improvement and transformation.
We assist the middle market with technology and digital solutions in the the following eight focus areas
Information technology (IT) organization combines the operating model, organization structure, skills and capabilities, and the supporting cost structures. We work with our clients to better align the organization through:
- IT staff development and alignment
- Aligning technology plan with business strategy
IT governance is an enabling framework to drive decision-making and accountability. We work with clients to improve their function and processes, including:
- Stakeholder management
- Policies and procedures
- IT governance frameworks such as COBIT
Business applications include front and back office, production, e-commerce, mobile, business productivity and collaboration. The RSM team can:
- Assess current application effectiveness
- Guide the software selection or vendor selection process
- Provide project and change management leadership during the implementation process
The analysis of data is focused on leveraging data to enable proactive decision-making, drive organizational excellence and innovation to create competitive advantage. To this end, we help clients in four key areas:
- Data strategy and management
- Information delivery
- Reporting and analytics
- Data foundation
- Model reviews
We work with clients to evaluate, design and implement digital capabilities. We have developed an extensive framework (RSM Digital Framework) that describes four critical digital capabilities and outlines their relationship to other elements of a business operating model:
- Automation tools
Our infrastructure practice works with our clients to assess the effectiveness, develop strategies and implement change in several focus areas, including:
- Network and data centers
- Backup and recovery
- Unified communication
- Office planning and relocation
- Private and compliant cloud
- Managed services
We team with our risk advisory practice to assess the effectiveness, develop strategies and implement change as it relates to key areas, including:
IT service management
Our experienced team helps clients plan, design, deliver, operate and control IT services offered to customers. Our assessment and improvement approach includes:
- Service catalog design
- IT process improvement
- ITSM framework alignment (ITIL)
- ITSM technology enablement