© 2019 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
Invest confidently through buy-side due diligence
Adding to your private equity portfolio? Unmask the right deal.
Making the right acquisition at the right price is critical in today’s complex and competitive deal-making environment. If hasty decisions are made to buy without completing overall business, technology, financial and operations assessments, the transaction may be delayed or systemic problems may not be uncovered until post transaction, causing business disruptions, stresses on your existing portfolio businesses and financial losses. Or, worse yet, the targeted business may not be valued appropriately due to undisclosed issues pre-sale. Finding that out after the deal has been executed could not only be challenging, but harmful to your overall future business.
To minimize transaction risk, employ a fully integrated buy-side due diligence process that includes financial, tax and operational due diligence. This integrated approach can help you understand your risks and opportunities so you can make an informed decision about how and whether to proceed with the deal while protecting your interests.
Specifically, the process unmasks and assesses the following areas about the targeted business:
- Earnings and cash flow quality
- Assets and liabilities quality
- Internal control weaknesses related to systems and personnel
- Deal structure from a tax perspective
- Federal, state and local tax compliance risks and issues
- IT infrastructure and system issues and future cost savings and requirements
- Financial projections
- Purchase agreement details and alignment
- Risks and costs associated with complex transactions like carve-outs and add-on acquisitions
Understanding the above allows you to weigh transaction price and terms as well as the future of the targeted business. Other advantages of an integrated buy-side due diligence strategy include:
- Gained insights about risks and opportunities to address pre- and post-transaction
- Efficient transaction speed, and in some cases, accelerated transaction close
- Maximized organizational and operational efficiencies in add-on integration
- Minimized transitional service agreement cost burdens for carve outs
- Reassurance of day-one readiness with seamless resources support
- Efficient management adaption to private equity ownership
Buy-side due diligence allows you to analyze and validate critical financial, operational and strategic aspects of the deal, making it easier for you to structure and negotiate a favorable transaction that’s right for your overall portfolio.
You may also be interested in:
A panel of private equity deal experts address Q3 deal activity and share thoughts on investment opportunities in financial services.
How is disruption in the health care industry impacting patients? RSM experts discuss this important trend. Listen and learn.
As PE firms are increasingly investing in healthcare businesses, what are the economics of such deals on doctors? Listen and learn.
RPA delivers the ability to automate highly-manual, yet low complexity processes to improve accuracy and speed with lower costs.
With buy-and-builds becoming more prevalent in health care M&A, effective merger integration can be critical to success.
Before investing in a health care company, private equity firms need to thoroughly understand the cybersecurity risks they may inherit.
PE investors and health care entrepreneurs see an opportunity to offer behavioral health services via efficient and tech-enabled platforms.
Innovative companies are working on ways to break health care’s legacy mold and deliver better experiences and outcomes for patients.
Stonewall Kitchen president and chief operating officer discusses the role mergers and acquisitions play in their growth strategy.
IPOs surge as valuation fatigue sets in: A panel of private equity deal experts discuss the trends behind the Q2 2019 numbers and outcomes.