Executive summary: IRS extends certain deadlines for taxpayers affected by Hurricane Ian
The IRS has granted relief to taxpayers located anywhere in Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina, automatically extending certain deadlines to Feb. 15, 2023.
- In Florida, deadlines falling on or after Sep. 23, 2022
- In South Carolina, deadlines falling on or after Sep. 25, 2022
- In North Carolina, deadlines falling on or after Sep. 28, 2022
Filing and payment relief
In response to FEMA’s disaster declaration in Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina as a result of the impact of Hurricane Ian, the IRS announced tax relief to taxpayers in the affected areas, including automatic extensions of time to file Form 990-series returns and to make tax payments.
- In Florida, deadlines occurring on or after Sept. 23, 2022, and before Feb. 15, 2023, are extended to Feb. 15, 2023.
- In South Carolina, deadlines occurring on or after Sept. 25, 2022, and before Feb. 15, 2023, are extended to Feb. 15, 2023.
- In North Carolina, deadlines occurring on or after Sept. 28, 2022, and before Feb. 15, 2023, are extended to Feb. 15, 2023.
Read the RSM Tax Alerts for Florida and the Carolinas.
Relief for other “time-sensitive” acts
In addition to extending the time to file return or pay taxes, the relief also extends to other “time-sensitive” acts as outlined in Rev. Proc. 2018-58:
- Section 501(h) elections and revocations (Form 5768)
- Community health needs assessments (CHNAs) and adoption of: implementation strategies under section 501(r)(3)
- Applications for recognition of exempt status (Forms 1023, 1023-EZ, 1024, or 1024-A)
- Notifications of intent to operate as a section 501(c)(4) organization (Form 8976)
- Private foundations’ notification to the IRS of intent to terminate (or successful termination of) private foundation status
- Political organization notices and reports (Forms 8871 and 8872)
- Extension of the auto-revocation period for organizations that fail to file for three consecutive years
- Group exemption holders’ notification to the IRS of the status of members in a group ruling