Partner, Chicago Office Leader, Great Lakes Region Tax Leader
John Bird is the Chicago office leader, Great Lakes Region tax leader and is a certified public accountant with more than 27 years of experience. Throughout his career, he has been a State and Local Tax (SALT) specialist and is currently aligned with the Business and Professional Services Industry with a primary focus on law firms and other professional service firms.
He joined the firm in 1993 and led the Great Lakes Region (GLR) SALT practice from 2002-2014. In 2013, he became the GLR tax leader and in 2016 he became the Chicago office leader and continues to serve in both of those roles today. Over the last couple of years, John has devoted a significant amount of time focused on the move of our Chicago office and firm headquarters to a new location in downtown Chicago. He currently participates in the RSM Enterprise Leadership Academy (ELA) program, where he interacts with partners throughout the firm and has developed an enterprise perspective on the unique challenges and opportunities facing different LOBs and offices.
Professional and community involvement
- John has been very involved with the Illinois CPA Society (ICPAS) throughout his career and currently serves on the board of the ICPAS. He has also been a long-time member of the ICPAS SALT committee, chaired the ICPAS SALT committee and was a member of the ICPAS Tax Executive Committee.
- John is very supportive of RSM’s Chicago employee network groups.
- John is actively involved with the Boys and Girls Club of Chicago and other local charities.
- Bachelor of Science degree in accounting and Masters of Science degree in taxation, DePaul University
- Former adjunct instructor in the masters in taxation program, DePaul University