RSM Recognized with Community Investment Award
RSM US Foundation central to recognition
RSM US LLP (“RSM”) was recently recognized by Consulting® magazine with the publication’s Excellence in Social and Community Investment Award. The RSM US Foundation was cited by Consulting magazine as a driving factor behind the firm’s recognition.
In 2014, RSM laid the footings of a giving strategy designed to be compelling to its people, its clients and its markets, while enhancing the firm’s long-standing support of the communities where its employees live and work. A year later, the firm marked the start of its 90th year of serving clients with a large philanthropic commitment by launching the RSM US Foundation.
A tax-exempt public charity, the RSM US Foundation is dedicated to building tomorrow’s middle market leaders by (1) enhancing educational outcomes through programs for individuals to have career paths to become entrepreneurs or middle market business leaders, and (2) supporting organizations committed to providing a more stable environment for youth in the areas of hunger, housing and health, which help them excel in education.
“RSM has a long tradition of investing considerable time and financial resources in philanthropic causes, both locally and nationally,” said Doug Opheim, chief financial officer for RSM US LLP and chairman of the RSM US Foundation. “Our foundation provides a structure to align our giving with our firm’s strategy. It speaks directly to our core values – particularly integrity and stewardship – while enhancing our recruiting, employee engagement and retention, reputation and client loyalty efforts.”
Highlights from the RSM US Foundation’s first year include:
- Charitable 5K—More than 700 RSM partners, principals, spouses and guests ran, jogged or walked to raise awareness of childhood hunger in Las Vegas. They also contributed over $150,000 to our foundation to beneﬁt childhood nutrition programs at Three Square, a Las Vegas area food bank.
- Challenge match funds for RSM’s Birdies Fore Love program—In 2015, partners, principals, employees, clients and friends of the ﬁrm raised $781,387 for 65 charities aligned with the RSM US Foundation mission. The foundation added $500,000 in matching funds.
- Dollars for Doers—The foundation provides grants matching employees’ direct volunteer time for charities aligned with the foundation’s mission:
- Individual volunteerism – In its inaugural year, the foundation provided $21,000 for 63 grants related to individual employee volunteerism.
- New hire programs – RSM new hire attendees packed food for the Greater Chicago Food Depository and assembled winter care kits for The Boys and Girls Clubs of Chicago. Grants for these activities totaled $10,500.
- RSM US Volunteer Day – More than 2,600 employees participated in RSM Volunteer Day—building homes, mentoring students, playing games and doing crafts with kids, cleaning and painting, sorting food and clothing donations, grounds clean-up and gardening, and more. Nineteen charities aligned with the RSM US Foundation mission benefited from our employees’ direct volunteer service and received Dollars for Doers funding totaling $25,800.
- The foundation recently established the Wilfred H. Heitritter Excellence in Tax Fund at the University of Iowa to honor the significant contributions and leadership of retired partner, Bill Heitritter. The foundation matches donations from RSM’s individual partners of up to $5,000, to a total of $25,000. Income will fund awards for accounting students participating in a competition in which students develop solutions to complicated tax problems.
Joanne Raffa, technology and management consulting director, accepted the Excellence in Social and Community Investment award on behalf of the firm during a Sept. 8 ceremony in New York City.
“As foundation programming grows, there will be additional opportunities for everyone at RSM, our clients and friends of the firm to give back even more to our communities,” said Raffa.
About RSM US
RSM’s purpose is to deliver the power of being understood to our clients, colleagues and communities through world-class audit, tax and consulting services focused on middle market businesses. The clients we serve are the engine of global commerce and economic growth, and we are focused on developing leading professionals and services to meet their evolving needs in today’s ever-changing business environment.
RSM US LLP is the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent, audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries. For more information, visit rsmus.com, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and/or connect with us on LinkedIn.