A message from Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
As the 2017 calendar year comes to a close, I’d like to take a few moments to thank the people of RSM, our clients and friends who contribute to our success year after year, and to share a few of our firm’s accomplishments over the past 12 months. While providing world-class audit, tax and consulting services to middle market leaders around the world is the essence of what we do, we pride ourselves in going above and beyond. We’re pleased to share a few examples of how we did that in 2017 as we prepare to turn the page on a New Year:
We welcomed new colleagues in Canada.
RSM’s clients are global, and we are focused on serving them everywhere in the world they do business. To that end, we were thrilled to launch RSM Canada, with an office in the heart of Toronto’s business district that is nearly 300 people strong. We look forward to growing RSM Canada by taking the Canadian middle market to the global market together with our partners and team members in Toronto and our more than 41,000 RSM colleagues around the globe.
We supported education, our people and our communities.
Stewardship has been one of RSM’s core values since our firm was founded in 1926. It’s this sense of stewardship that compels our people to give back to the communities where they live and work across the country.
- 2017 marked the 91st anniversary of RSM US LLP. In recognition of our 90th anniversary in 2016, we launched a 90-90-9: Pursue Your Passion program, which gave nine employees opportunities to “pursue their passions” by providing them with $90,000 ($10,000 each). The program was such a success that we continued the program in 2017, with an additional nine of our people pursuing their passions.
- More than 3,100 RSM people, clients and friends nationwide participated in more than 170 volunteer activities across this country this year through our firm’s annual Volunteer Day, benefitting 100 charitable organizations in the communities where our people live and work.
- RSM employees, partners, principals, clients and friends raised more than $2 million for local and national charitable organizations aligned with the RSM US Foundation’s mission to build tomorrow’s middle market leaders through our Birdies Fore Love program.
- The RSM US Foundation supported a number of worthy education-related causes this year by making donations and providing grants. Just a few examples include a $250,000 gift to Iowa State University, a $250,000 gift to UMass Amherst, awarding 10 students with $100,000 in scholarships through its Power Your Education program and announcing a $1 million University of Northern Iowa Chaired Professorship.
We continued to champion middle market.
At RSM, we’ve been focused on serving the middle market for more than 90 years. We understand the unique opportunities and challenges facing middle market businesses, which account for one-third of the U.S. workforce, and represent nearly 40 percent of the nation’s GDP.
- After launching the RSM US Middle Market Business Index (MMBI) in March 2016, we enhanced this first-of-its-kind economic index focused on the middle market by forming a partnership with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the world’s largest business organization, representing more than three million members, in March 2017. This partnership provides the opportunity to stay close to what’s happening in Washington as we advise the businesses we serve, while at the same time providing a tremendous platform to share the needs and expectation of middle market businesses with influencers in our nation’s capital and beyond.
- RSM announced plans to create the RSM First-Choice Advisor Center to enhance its ability to deliver the power of being understood to clients.
We grew and promoted our people.
At RSM, we strive to deliver “the power of being understood” not only to our middle market clients, but also to our people. We know that when our people have the skills, tools and support they need to achieve their career aspirations, they feel empowered to provide our clients with unparalleled service that help them succeed. In 2017:
- We promoted 39 people to partner/principal positions, and an additional 1,770 employees also received promotions to advance their careers.
- Our 11 employee-led employee network groups continued to engage our people, providing leadership, networking and learning opportunities for those interested in participating in their numerous related internal and external activities.
- We promoted new national audit and industry leaders to our RSM US leadership team, and we selected a number of other partners to fill various industry leadership positions in the firm.
- RSM’s Patti Burquest assumed the role as Washington National Tax leader, following confirmation of prior leader David Kautter as secretary of the Treasury, Tax Policy - a key position in the current administration.
- Brian Becker was promoted to national consulting leader.
We were recognized.
At RSM, we regularly receive recognition from a variety of external entities for the services we provide our middle market clients and the workplace we provide our people. A few of the recognitions received during the 2017 calendar year include:
- Working Mother named RSM its 2017 “100 Best Companies” list.
- Consulting magazine named RSM a 2017 “Best Firm to Work For”.
- Accounting Today listed RSM Managing Partner and CEO and on its Top 100 Most Influential list.
- RSM US Wealth Management was ranked No. 2 on Accounting Today’s Top Firms by Assets Under Management (AUM).
- RSM was named North American Partner of the Year in recognition for taking innovative approaches to finance.
- ComputerWorld named RSM to its 2017 100 Best Places to Work in IT list.
- RSM was named a Forbes “America’s Best Large Employer of 2017”.
- RSM was ranked as the fifth largest accounting, tax and consulting services firm in the U.S. for the 11th consecutive year by Accounting Today.
At RSM, we regularly take time to celebrate the accomplishments of our people as well as the accomplishments of our firm. This year’s celebrations included:
- We recognized our second class of RSM Hall of Fame inductees in conjunction with our biennial ownership meeting this past summer, recognizing a number of our people for their lasting contributions and stewardship over the course of their careers at RSM.
- We welcomed Austin Cook as the newest member of the RSM “family” after he won the eighth RSM Classic in November. To date, The RSM Classic has raised more than $9 million for local and national charitable organizations that support children and their families. That number increases each year through our employee-led Birdies Fore Love program.
- We celebrated Team RSM Member Davis Love III as he was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame.
In the coming year, the people at RSM look forward to continuing our unwavering focus on truly understanding the unique issues, challenges and opportunities facing the middle market. We’ll use our collective understanding to provide meaningful insights via the Middle Market Business Index, The Real Economy and other thought leadership, and we will continue to provide the best possible audit, tax and consulting services to help middle market business leaders succeed – regardless of where in the world they might operate.
Wishing you and yours a healthy, happy and prosperous 2018!