State Tax Analysis and Resolution Nexus
Comprehensive state nexus reviews
Understand and mitigate your nexus risk on a state-by-state basis.
As your business expands into new locations or develops new products or services, there are tax implications to consider. The very activities that generate profits and build market share can often increase exposure to state and local taxes. Understanding your nexus footprint and properly fulfilling your obligations is important to your overall financial and tax planning. A RSM state tax analysis and resolution (STAR) nexus review provides an efficient way to assess your nexus risk and identify potential refund opportunities.
Our STAR nexus review process focuses on identifying your company’s nexus exposure in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Using a proprietary tool, we can quickly identify the locations in which you have income tax, non-income tax, or sales and use tax nexus. Our state and local tax professionals then provide recommendations for the actions your business should take to improve compliance and mitigate the risk of overpayment or underpayment.
An RSM STAR nexus review provides:
- Income tax, non-income tax and sales and use tax analyses
- Risk assessment for a selected tax year 2009-2014 (multiple-year assessments may be added)
- A comprehensive, management-ready report on nexus exposure
- Custom compliance and planning recommendations
Change requires change
Most companies should consider an annual nexus review to account for the myriad external factors that impact state and local taxes. It can also be valuable to conduct a STAR review more frequently if your business has recently:
- Expanded or contracted operations
- Engaged in acquisitions, dispositions or restructurings
- Entered into new lines of business
- Closed old lines of business
Learn more about how we help companies understand their nexus and improve overall compliance.