Expert consultation and testimony when it counts
Valuation disputes arise for many reasons. Whatever the reason, when it’s time to protect your interests, you need sophisticated valuation and financial professionals who have the right expert witness experience for your situation.
Our dispute advisory services include consulting and expert witness testimony in complex valuation situations, spanning a wide range of circumstances, including:
- Merger and acquisition disputes – Calculating the difference between the overstated, represented purchase price and the fair market valuation by adjusting for errors, disagreements over the proper accounting treatment of certain items, and deliberate manipulations of income, cash flow or expenses.
- Shareholder disputes – Calculating the fair value of ownership interest(s) in businesses in oppression of minority shareholders and dissenting stockholder litigation matters.
- Buy-sell agreement disputes – Calculating the value in disputes between owners related to the valuation methodology described in the agreement.
- Breach of contract matters – Calculating the diminution in value of the plaintiff’s business by comparing the value prior to the alleged breach of contract to the value after the breach has occurred.
- Business interruption – Calculating the diminution in value of the plaintiff’s business by comparing the value prior to the alleged event to the value after.
- Bankruptcy litigation – Preparing solvency analysis in connection with fraudulent conveyance and preferential payment bankruptcy litigation matters, valuations for rejection claims and other creditor advisory matters.
- Misappropriation of trade secrets – Calculating the value of the misappropriated trade secrets or diminution in value of the plaintiff’s business by comparing the value prior to the alleged misappropriation to the value after.
- Marital dissolution – Calculating the fair value of ownership interest(s) in businesses so marital property can be divided, including calculating the fair value as of the date of marriage and date of divorce/separation.
RSM works with law firms throughout the world to provide dispute advisory for publicly and privately held businesses in nearly every industry. We’re highly regarded as objective expert witnesses in the courts, known for our valuation expertise, financial and economic analyses, transaction advisory expertise and thought leadership. We are also highly skilled communicators—completely at home testifying before judges, juries and arbitrators on a full range of complicated litigation matters.
When you need expert dispute advisory, count on RSM.